Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Preference Tests

I enjoyed taking these tests in class because you get to see biases that are often not even noticed in everyday life.  I wasn't surprised one bit to have a higher preference to African Americans than Europeans, because I have always been more in tune with black culture, but what did surprise me was that I also got a higher preference to Muslims than others.

It's surprising because even though I have many Muslim friends and am a member of MSA on campus, I didn't think I necessarily had a preference for that population.  However, after thinking about it, I just took an Islamic class last semester, where I had to read 5 books on Islam and Islamic civilizations.  I also had to write a 7-page paper every week on a given topic, so you can say I was very in depth and engaged in that culture.  I think because I am now more knowledgeable about Muslims that other people, in the back of my head I was more prone to "having a preference" for them during the test.  Of course, I have no way of knowing if that is the reason but it was cool to analyze the situation.


SN:  I thought this was hilarious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment